For many years, Humane Borders maintained a comprehensive library of press and media coverage. These materials, along with many of our historic records are now part University of Arizona Library’s Special Collections and are available to scholars, the press, and the public.
In The News
Below please find a sample of 2013 and 2014 news articles covering our work.
- Our data are included to headline a review of Gael Garcia Bernal and Marc Silver’s film Who is Dayani Cristal?.
- Tucson Weekly Announcement for the Humane Borders co-sponsored screening of The Undocumented.
- 2013 Newsweek Cover Story by Terry Greene Sterling featuring Humane Borders Map Data
- Guardian article by Edward Helmore concerning the Arizona OpenGIS Initiative for Missing and Deceased Migrants, or OGIS.
- New York Times Interactive Map by Joe Burgess and Haeyoun Park featuring data and commentary provided by Dr. Chamblee of our Board of Directors.
- New York Times article by Fernanda Santos and Rebekah Zemansky concerning migrant deaths.
- LA Times Article by Cindy Carcamo concerning the unveiling of the OGIS.
- Tim Stellar’s Editorial in the Arizona Daily Star concerning OGIS.
- Univision Report (en español) by Dulce Masareño concerning OGIS.
Below please find a sample of the scholarly research by and about Humane Borders.
- 2005 – Mapping Migrant Deaths in Southern Arizona: The Humane Borders GIS, by John F. Chamblee, Gary L. Christopherson, Mark Townley, Daniel DeBorde, and Robin Hoover.
- 2008 – When Deterrence and Death Mitigation Fall Short: Fantasy and Fetishes as Gap-Fillers in Border Regulation, by Mary D. Fan
- 2012 – Manifold Destiny: Migrant Deaths and Destinations in the Arizona Desert, by Stephanie Lawrence and John Wildgen